Kalbi Style Short Ribs
- 1 lb. Kalbi, flanken style beef short ribs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 T. cup mirin (rice wine)
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 small Asian pear, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 thinly sliced cucumber
1. In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients except ribs and cucumber. Add marinade to ribs. This may be easier to do in a large ziploc bag to ensure rib marinade covers ribs evenly. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours up to overnight.
2. Drain excess marinade off beef. Grill short ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions.